High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT as it is more commonly known, is a workout technique that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Typically, HIIT involves alternating short periods of intense exercise with recovery periods, which can provide numerous health benefits. In this blog post, we will explore what HIIT is, its benefits, how to get started, and how it ties into many of the cardio kick boxing classes we offer at Kick N’ Box in Adelaide.
What is High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT?
Generally, High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT is a type of workout that involves short bursts of high-intensity exercise followed by periods of rest or low-intensity exercise. The high-intensity exercise is typically performed for 20-30 seconds and is followed by a 10-20 second recovery period. This cycle is repeated for a set amount of time, usually 10-30 minutes. Much like super-fast ‘rounds’ in kick boxing, here at Kick N’ Box, we can achieve this style of training on the bags. This can be seen with intervals of high intensity on the bags and a ‘rest’ period when you are doing your sit-ups for example. The idea is to not plateau the heart. We can also achieve this style in our Cross Core classes using resistance training techniques esp. in our Phase one or CC-Fit classes.
Benefits of HIIT:
High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT has numerous benefits, including:
- Burns More Calories: HIIT workouts burn more calories than traditional cardio workouts because they involve more intense exercise.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: HIIT can improve cardiovascular health by increasing your heart rate and oxygen consumption.
- Increases Metabolism: HIIT can increase your metabolism, which can help you burn more calories even when you’re not exercising.
- Builds Lean Muscle: HIIT can help you build lean muscle mass, which can improve your overall body composition.
- Time-Efficient: HIIT workouts are typically shorter than traditional cardio workouts, making them an excellent option for busy people.
Getting Started with HIIT at Kick N’ Box:
If you’re new to High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT, it’s important to start slowly and gradually increase the intensity and duration of your workouts. The best way is to start at a gym where you have the support of personal trainers to assist you.
Here are some tips to help you get started at our gym:
- Warm-up: We will always warm up before starting you on a HIIT workout. This helps prepare the muscles and joints for the intense exercise.
- Choosing correct exercises: Our trainers at Kick N’ Box are all trained and skilled in teaching you the correct form. If for some reason there is a movement that you cannot achieve, we have you covered and will sort another exercise that is achievable and will challenge you in similar ways.
- Set a Timer: Our trainers at Kick N’ Box will keep you working at a challenging level for a set period of time. We will typically count down when you are reaching the end of the intense exercise.
- Rest: Take time to rest and recover between workouts. Your body needs time to recover and repair after intense exercise.
- Stay Consistent: Consistency is key to seeing results with HIIT. Try to do at least 2-3 HIIT workouts per week to see the benefits. With over 25 Kick Boxing classes per-week, we have you covered at Kick N’ Box. Consistency is easy when you have plenty of options. You can find our timetable here: Timetable – Kick N’ Box Fitness (kicknboxfitness.com.au)
High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT is an effective workout technique that can provide numerous health benefits. By incorporating HIIT into your fitness routine, you can burn more calories, improve cardiovascular health, and build lean muscle mass. Remember to start slowly, warm-up properly, and stay consistent to see the best results. And if in doubt, set yourself up with a gym membership at a Kick N’ Box where everything is programmed for you.
We will see you in the gym soon!